Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Day is Long



The soft-spoken words of wilderness caress me
And carry my thoughts to a world far away. 
I dream of the sea, beating a rhythm on the rocks, 
And the sand that swirls and drifts its thoughts
Around my head. There I may find peace.

The soft-spoken words of wilderness tempt me

And draw me inexorably towards oblivion. 
The wind wraps my hair in its fingers 
And ties knots with the pain and hurt that the
Bustle of life have inflicted. May I find peace?

The soft-spoken words of wilderness condemn me

And fasten me down with steel bands of contempt.
I dream of freedom, and of laughter, and instead
Am bound by the tears of despair, that fall
Like rain upon my face. There may be no peace.

The soft-spoken words of wilderness torture me 

And offer redemption that is just out of reach. 
I dream of a day when I can walk upon the shore
Again, and feel the sea around my feet, the shifting
Sand, that gives and grips and denies me peace.

The soft-spoken words of wilderness.

I hear them. 
But I cannot listen to their siren call.



(c) 2ndwitch, 22/01/14
(My thanks to Ivan Drever, whose song 'Wilderness' provided the inspiration for this poem. http://www.ivandrever.co.uk)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home